Reverb10: Gift

This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year? 

I'm struggling to come up with something as quickly as I have been able to for the other questions, but if I sit and ponder on it for a bit, the overlying theme I keep coming up with is the gift of...belief?  To explain: in 2010 I have had more people than I can recall before who have come out and told me that they believe in my ability to achieve my goals.  I think it's a direct result of my finally opening up to the world at large and bothering to share what those goals actually are.  Besides the grad school thing, I also took up running, which really gave me something to focus on this year. To have people cheering me on to meet my little running goals all along the way has really helped me keep it up.  When I tried running in 2007, I shared that with pretty much no one, and I fizzled out within a few months.  I do struggle to believe in my own abilities, and just having one person saying, "You can do it," with all sincerity means the world to me.  Great things will follow when you allow yourself to be open to accepting such gifts.

Popular Posts