Reverb10: Achieve

What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.



Ok, I'm going to set the obvious (b-school) aside for this one.
 
In 2011, I want to fall back in love with dancing.  A little background for those of you who may not know me as well: I've always liked to dance socially, but wasn't really formally trained in any particular style.  I took ballet classes when I was about 6 or 7, but apparently I didn't like it and didn't even make it as far as the first recital.  I did learn some basics when I was a member of my high school colorguard and we incorporated dance into our spring competition routines, but that was the extent of it.  About midway through college I decided that I was going to formally learn a dance form, but I didn't actually achieve that goal until I started taking bellydance classes in January of '07.  I studied Middle Eastern dance continuously through October 2010 and had been performing with my studio's dance company since summer of 2008.  For personal reasons, I chose to disaffiliate with the studio this fall, so I've been a "free agent" from November on.
 
It has been nice to have a break and get a few more visits to the gym in these last couple of months, but come January I'm going to get moving again!  I've always been an admirer of ballroom dance and I've had a pair of ballroom shoes for about a year now.  In our studio, we performed barefoot 99% of the time and usually just broke out the ballroom shoes for big stage productions (and sometimes not even then), or some dancers chose to wear them while doing solo work.  As for me, I wore the shoes to dance in Nations of San Diego in January '10, and that's it.  It's time to dust those babies off and learn how to dance backwards.  I am particularly enamored by the Latin dances (samba, cha cha cha, mambo, et. al.), so I've found a local studio that has beginner classes on a weekday evening and we'll take it from there.  They also have high level classes for people who want to compete, which is my other big thing.  I'm a ham and I'll eventually need an audience if I turn out to be any good at it!
 
What can I do about it today?  Not much, really, since I'm at my parents' home in Pittsburgh.  But I do have my iPod hooked up to the speakers in my old room, and I plan to go through and weed out more old junk I've been storing here.  Maybe a good dance beat will make the task at hand that much easier.  It usually does, yes?

Popular Posts