2011 Year in Review


I just went back and re-read my post from New Year's Eve 2010.  In it, I discussed some of my goals from that year.  (Read: not resolutions, per se.  Just goals.)

"...I wanted to take my fitness to the next level. Well, I started running and I've done two 5k races. In 2011, I want to do at least 3 and maybe try for a 10k."


Well, let's see...

Mermaid Run 5k, February 2011
Vista Strawberry Festival 5k, May 2011

Camp Pendleton Mud Run 10k (!), June 2011

Iron Girl 5k, November 2011
Check!  I'd like to give a shout out to Dani, with whom I ran in every one of the 5ks this year.  Which reminds me--I need to sign up for the next Mermaid Run in 2012 because that was one of my favorites!

So what's in store for 2011?  Probably definitely at least one 10k that doesn't involve mucking through gunk.  I was a last minute sub for a Mud Run team that one of my co-workers has been organizing every year for the past several years.  It was tough as hell and still a lot of fun.  I'd do it again, but I'd also like to just do a straight 10k run.  I think that will be my late spring/summer project since I hate treadmill running too much to really train in the winter.

Okay, what else?

"...I've contemplated grad school for the last 5-going-on-6 years, and this year I had the Great Business School Epiphany. In 2011, it's officially Game On as I re-take the GMAT and complete my applications."


Well, as chronicled in several posts throughout the year, I did begin an MBA program this fall at the University of San Diego.  I just checked for my final grades a moment ago, and I'm pleased to say that I've earned a 3.4 GPA for the semester.  Not bad for working full time, doing multiple group projects, and adjusting to those crazy 15 hour days!

I <3


"...There have been some setbacks here and there, namely in my dancing world. I feel as though 2010 was a rather static year in which life's distractions made it difficult--if not impossible--to advance, so I'm going to mix it up in 2011 and find my new groove."


I did continue to dance this year, despite having left the studio in late 2010 and not taking formal lessons since.  The women of Desert Silk and I have been having a rebuilding year, you might say.  Between the six of us, we've been having a crazy year of changes--from adopting a new baby to finishing up a PhD to starting grad school--it's a wonder we've found the time and dedication to do what we've done!  We have performed in a few public venues, choreographed a few original numbers, and managed to stay close even when life pulls us all in different directions.  (Note--almost all of the 5ks I ran this year were with at least one of my fellow dancers!)

Who are those masked dancers at the Gaslamp Mardi Gras Celebration???
Desert Silk at the Del Mar Fair, June 2011

Photo by James Croft Photography, June 2011
In 2012, we hope to begin taking regular workshops/lessons with local dancers to learn some new technique and reinforce the solid foundation we built at our former studio. And continue to have fun, of course!


"...Meanwhile, even though I'm orchestrating a move out of the country, I continue to enjoy my job and I want to take it as far as I can for as long as I am able. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to going back on Monday."


Well, the part where I moved out of the country didn't happen.  I had the Second Great Epiphany in early 2011, whereby I realized that it just wasn't time for me to do it yet.  Instead, I spent an amazing couple weeks in Europe in the company of two of my most favorite people in the world!

Tina and I enjoying an espresso at Da Lucia, local trattoria in Rome, June 2011

Ralph and me in Amsterdam, July 2011

It was all I could do to limit myself to just two pictures.  I have about a bazillion, and I do not tire of sharing them at any given opportunity!

Meanwhile, in 2011, I also had the pleasure of...


Celebrating Ben and Ana's American wedding, July 2011

Dining at Club 33, which is a B.F.D. for Disney Nerds like myself

And also...

Partying like rockstars in Vegas with some Disney CP buddies

And then...

Welcomed to the family a new nephew, Noah, who is seen here sleeping soundly after his baptism in November.

And, finally,

You aren't back in PIT until Franco Harris greets you with the Immaculate Reception

Popsing is happy and grateful to be home for the holidays!



I had a lovely week in Pittsburgh cooking, seeing dear old friends, spending some QT with my family, and just relaxing and enjoying myself in general.

In 2012, I just hope to further my progress towards some of my longer term goals, like continuing to do well in grad school and becoming more fit and healthy, possibly shedding those last 25-30 lbs or so.

 I'm also looking forward to another trip to Europe in the late spring/early summer and a probable September reunion with my 2705 gals of Disney College Program fame when one of us walks down the aisle.  (Hint: it isn't me!)

Oh, and turning 30.  That's kindof a big deal too.

So as I head out to my friend's New Year's Party, I wish you and yours a very safe and happy New Year and health and prosperity in 2012!

Cheers!

Popular Posts