Viva le French Press!

May I have your attention, please, for this announcement:

Preach, sister.

Bad coffee SUCKS.

There, I said it.  And I ain't putting up with it any more.  I am not and never have been a hardcore coffee drinker--one cup once in awhile is really all I care to have.  I was in the grips of an International Coffee addiction when I was 13 or 14, and ever since the first time I had a headache from withdrawal, I decided to never drink that much caffeine again.  However, I have come to the realization that quality coffee done right is worth the effort.  I'm not a snob about wine and I don't have a wide appreciation of beers, but dammit, I'm going to be selective about my coffee from now on.

Enter Bodum.  I happened to have a few Starbucks gift cards lying around, and it occurred to me one day after a rare stop in for a cup and a breakfast sandwich that I could also have bought a coffee press while I was at it.  Unfortunately, I had a dickens of a time finding a small 4-cup one.  I only drink a cup or two and I rarely have guests, so the 8 cup ones didn't make sense.  I must've hit 3 or 4 Starbucks before I finally found the little one I was looking for.

I will make all of your dreams come true!


While I was home in Pittsburgh for Christmas, I rescued my Dad's trusty old coffee grinder from an uncertain fate by bringing it back to California with me.  (My stepmom doesn't drink it and he was wasting too much on a traditional drip brew system, so he switched to the pods.)  Back in October for my cousin's wedding, her favors were bags of coffee beans from what I assume to be one of her and her husband's favorite local cafes.  So, this morning when I finally had all the necessary elements together, I made magic happen.  Grind, pour, brew, plunge, voila.  I think I could've used more beans and made it even stronger, but for a first go I was pretty happy.

No more crappy coffee for this lady right here!  I feel more European already.

Popular Posts