New Year's Eve 2018

Ah, 2018.  The year that almost wasn't.  Weren't we supposed to end the world by now?

Of course not: never underestimate human resilience, nor our capacity for kindness and surprise. Let's get into it.

April in Paris

In late 2017, I booked another solo trip for myself to Paris.  Or rather, it was intended to be a solo venture, and the very same day that I announced the trip, my Ma posited, "What if I went with you?"

What if, indeed.

Rick Steves knows what's up

Mom, me, and a little lizard named Gilles spent a lovely 10 days in Paris--with a side trip to Belgium--and lived like temporary locals in a Parisian flat in the 3rd arrondissement. We cooked most of our own meals with groceries from a store around the corner--with a few notable exceptions for Pain Vin Fromage (my 3rd visit now) and an Argentine steak house--and took in sights both big and small. It was my 4th trip and I still haven't done everything I'd like to do.  I guess I'll have to go back...


Sisterhood

You know what is super satisfying? Seeing the results of your efforts pay off. At my sorority's biannual convention this summer, my local alumnae association was awarded the highest honor of Outstanding Alumnae Association, and I found out that pageant queen reactions are real.

 
Outstanding!
 
The whole convention experience was an absolute blast because I got to share it with a few of the close Pittsburgh Kappa friends that I've made over the past few years, and caught up with many others from around the country. We'll always have Denver, ladies.

Shortly after that, I was appointed to a volunteer director role for the team that I have been serving on since early 2017. It's been such a huge leadership learning experience for me, and I feel pretty honored to serve alongside so many talented and driven women. I'm down to feeling impostor syndrome maybe 30% of the time now!

Content Directors of KKG: Very Vanity Fair

Where there's a Will...

So, when I did my 2018 "Top 9" on Instagram, I clearly had a co-star this year.

Top 9 of Instagram

Will is in all photos except for one, and that's only because he was the photographer. Now, if you've only ever read my blog posts, you have no idea who he is because I was keeping our fledgling relationship closer to the vest where social media is concerned.  Fortunately for me, my reading audience consists only of friends and family and the odd person who is looking for a review of Tieks shoes. So I don't necessarily need to explain to you that this man is the cream in my coffee, the apple of my eye, my faithful partner and creator of lovely charcuterie boards. My witty William, whom around this time a year ago was just emerging as my probably boyfriend, is now my fiancé. It's true, friends--this bachelorette's days are over. We've officially moved in together with our 3 cats, and are navigating all that this wild adventure brings. Can you imagine? By this time next year, I will be Ms. Maria Brown! (Yeah, I'm keeping my name.) I'm looking forward to using this as an excuse to party with my friends and family sometime in fall 2019. ;-)

So, that pretty much hits the highlights of my year. I remain ever vigilant about the people, causes, and issues that I care about. I am setting new intentions for myself all the time, some of which just happen to be coinciding with the New Year.  More art, still traveling, learning, reading, facilitating, and doing it all with some style and covered in cat hair.

I wish you and yours a very happy and prosperous New Year. Onward!

Popular Posts