Making Adjustments

I've been having a mild crisis these last several weeks.  On the one hand, school is great, I've already learned a lot in these last couple of months, and I'm 100% sure that I have made the right decision.  On the other hand, I am having a rough time adjusting to the new schedule.  I'm pretty much used to the long commutes and 15 hour days now, but what I have not figured out is how to continue to work towards my personal goals of health and fitness on top of everything else.  I have all but stopped working out (we're talking going from 4-5 days a week to maybe 2), and I feel hungry all the time!  It's as though my body is responding to all this change in my life by going into comfort mode, where all I want to do when I get home is lay in bed and watch Netflix and then eat macaroni and cheese.

I'm one of the most flexible people I know--what gives with this resistance to change???  When I do manage to get to the gym anymore, it's all I can do to do some strength training and maybe 20 minutes on a cardio machine, which is about all I can stand before I'm completely checked out mentally and physically.  Today I forced myself out on a jog, thinking that once I got out there, I'd be fine and just power through a 5k or so.  Nope.  I was miserable every stinkin' minute and came back after 1.6 miles.

I think part of it is that I'm just, for lack of a better word, "bored".  At first when I started running, it was exciting to increase my time, speed, and distance just a little bit more every week.  Now it feels like, "So what?  You haven't gotten any faster or run any further for over 6 months."  Maybe I just need to sign up for a 10k so I'm motivated towards a new goal, but I don't know if that is enough.  I think about trying Pilates or buying a workout DVD, but I haven't been very successful with those either.  I certainly don't have the bandwidth to commit to another instructional class.  So I have some decisions to make, clearly.  I might have to really commit myself back to lunchtime workouts or even consider going in the morning.  Heck, I might even be desperate enough to try spinning.  (I swore off of it 5 years ago after only one try because I couldn't sit down for days afterward, but I might have to reconsider.)

I sat down with the intention of starting a series of things that I am grateful for, but sometimes you just need to bitch it out instead!

Popular Posts